Applications are now open for the 2016 Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative (CYFI). The CYFI Fellowship is a dynamic youth-based initiative launched in 2011 by the U.S. Consulate General, Lagos. CYFI brings together Nigerian youth of exceptional vision, skills and experience to design and implement projects that have a positive impact on Nigerian society. Former Ambassador to Nigeria, Walter Carrington, was a champion of civil liberties, democracy and closer ties between the U.S. and Nigeria.
The fellowship seeks to develop a select group of young Nigerians into ethical and impactful leaders by connecting them with mentorship, networking, training and funding opportunities over the course of an intensive fellowship year. The CYFI fellowship is built around year-long social innovation projects that are designed by fellows and supported by the U.S. Consulate and private partners. Following successful completion of their projects, fellows remain involved with CYFI and the U.S. Consulate through the CYFI Alumni Program.
- Teams of 2-4 fellows submit project proposals to the CYFI Board
- Projects should be achievable in scope and address a current issue in Nigeria
- CYFI Board supports fellows by working to connect them with resources and contacts
- Fellows work on their own time to implement projects
- End of year recognition ceremony for fellows
- Complete CYFI Project as part of 3-5 fellow project team
- Attend monthly project status meetings with CYFI Board of Directors
- Participate in roundtables, networking events, and teambuilding events
- Implement concrete, youth-oriented solutions to issues that concern you
- Access U.S. Government resources and contacts
- Catch the attention of American and Nigerian leaders in the public and private sectors
- Work alongside talented and motivated peers with diverse backgrounds, but similar visions
- Participate in CYFI Alumni Program
- The 2016 application is open to all citizens and permanent residents of Nigeria currently residing in Lagos and Port Harcourt.
- Prospective fellows should note that all meetings and group work for CYFI project will be conducted in Lagos and Port Harcourt. Fellows who live outside of the greater Lagos and Port Harcourt metropolitan area and are unable to attend frequent meetings with their project teams and monthly meetings with the CYFI Board, in Lagos, will not be considered for the fellowship.
- Passion: You are committed to making a significant contribution to your community and country
- Skill & Experience: You have a unique set of skills and experiences that you can use to make an impact
- Strategic Thinking: You are excited about the opportunity to launch an innovative CYFI project. You know how to design a project that is based on sound research, uses resources creatively, builds or improves on existing systems, and leverages partnerships with complimentary organizations
- Vision: You know the area of social change in which you would like to work, and you can articulate the positive change that you would like to make
- Applications are taken online between November and January, annually
- Interviews follow at the US Consulate, Lagos
NOTE: Applicants selected for an interview will be notified by the CYFI Board. Interviews will be held at the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.
Application Deadline: January 11, 2016
“Opinion pieces of this sort published on RISE Networks are those of the original authors and do not in anyway represent the thoughts, beliefs and ideas of RISE Networks.”
RISE Networks is a Leading Social Enterprise with a deliberate interest and passion for Youth and Education Development facilitated by Innovation and Technology in Africa. Wish to see your Articles / Opinions Published on Rise Networks Website? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on Twitter at @risenetworks and Facebook at facebook.com/RISEGROUP