The African Leadership Unleashed (ALU) is now applications from students across the globe for the 2015 cohort. ALU is a world-class tertiary institution offering undergraduate programs that will develop the future leaders of Africa. At ALU, you get the chance to meet and learn with bright, dynamic young leaders from all over the world.
If you have graduated from high school, are between the ages of 17 and 25, and are committed to your success, you should apply for this. The admissions process aims to enroll some of the most interesting, motivated, passionate and hardworking individuals on the continent and around the world.
They strongly believe that Africa is transformed when people from all backgrounds and walks of life come together and collaborate to solve tough problems. That is why ALU is not just for Africans. Young people from around the world who are passionate about the African continent and who are excited about ALU’s learning philosophy are welcomed.
ALU was founded by Fred Swaniker, a world-renowned champion for Africa’s youth. Building on his success in launching African Leadership Academy, he was inspired to launch ALU as a way to bring the most innovative tertiary education in the world to Africa, and in so doing, help unleash Africa’s true potential as a continent.
Cost and Scholarship
The cost of studying at ALU depends on the campus the student chooses to attend. The opening of the first campus is in Mauritius, and the fee to go there is $7,000 USD per year (which includes tuition and housing) excluding feeding. A budget of another $2,500 for food and incidentals is recommended.
However, ALU provides a range of scholarships, corporate sponsorships and student financing options for all applicants. Applicants will be considered for financial aid, and will be informed if they have qualified once they make it to Round 2 of the selection process. 100% of the inaugural class will be eligible to be fully sponsored by one of ALU’s corporate partners.
The Full Scholarship includes:
- Food and accommodation on campus
- Airfare to and from your country of origin
- Learning tools, including a laptop and a tablet
- A stipend (“pocket money”)
By taking this option, you will:
- Guarantee yourself 100% free tertiary education
- Guarantee at least 1 year of cumulative work experience with one of the most outstanding companies in the world
- Gain a very high chance of full-time employment after graduation (if you perform well during your internships)
As a condition of this sponsorship, you have to participate in an internship with your sponsoring company for 4 months of every year. Should you perform well during your internship, your company has the ‘first right’ to hire you upon graduation. Should the company make you a full-time offer, you will likely be asked to sign on to work with the company for 3 years (this translates to roughly 1 year of placement for every year of sponsorship you receive).
ALU welcomes applications from
- High school graduates between the ages of 17 and 25 and committed to success.
- People with a wide variety of backgrounds and qualifications, skills and experiences.
- Students who are able to demonstrate their potential to succeed.
- Individuals with leadership potentials, academic and learning potential, drive and self-motivation, passion for change, ability to work with others, and self-awareness.
There are two stages in the selection process:
Stage One: Online application form + Online test
- Online application form: This form will allow you to give important personal and academic details. It will also give you the opportunity to share your ideas, hopes and passions through short questions and essays. You must submit this form before you can move onto the online test.
- Online test: Once your online application form is received, an email will be sent to you asking you to take an online test. This test will help the ALU get an understanding of your numeracy and literacy skills. There will be a time limit on the test, which means you will only have your brain to help you – no Google or help from friends or family.
Stage Two: Recommendations + Online Course
- Teacher & Peer Recommendations: ALU needs recommendations from three (3) of your teachers and three (3) of your peers. This is because they believe that those who know you best can give valuable insight into your learning ability, your leadership potential and your willingness to take on challenges. You will be asked to provide ALU with their contact details and they will reach to them to complete a short, simple online form.
- Online Course: The online course is a very exciting part of the application process! It will give you the opportunity to experience ALU’s learning model firsthand. As part of the online course, you will participate and contribute to group discussions and debates with other young ALU applicants from across the continent. You will engage in exciting topics, show what you know (on quizzes and short assignments) and learn from those who are also interested in coming to ALU.
- Only successful candidates from the previous stage will move to the next round.
- Application is available in English and French. To begin, register here.
Application Deadline: December 7, 2014
For more information, click HERE
“Opinion pieces of this sort published on RISE Networks are those of the original authors and do not in anyway represent the thoughts, beliefs and ideas of RISE Networks.”