Entries are now invited from students worldwide for the 2015 Dyalog APL Problem Solving Competition. Getting started with any new programming language can seem like a daunting task, and at Dyalog they’ve done what we can to try to make this process easier for you. Discover the world of APL and use the APL programming language and your problem solving skills to compete for cash prizes and a paid trip to the annual Dyalog user meeting in Sicily, Italy, September 6-10, 2015.
Are you up for the challenge? Five steps to become a winner
- Register (students and non-students are welcome to join)
- Discover and explore APL
- Use a single line of APL to solve 10 brain teasing problems
- Challenge your brain even further by solving some more complex APL problems
- Get feedback for your results and see if you are one of the lucky winners!
- Grand prize: $2,500 cash prize and an invitation to attend the 2015 Dyalog user meeting (to be held in Sicily, Italy from September 6-10, 2015). At the user meeting the winner will receive their prize and have the opportunity to present their winning work. Travel costs up to $3,500 plus $500 for incidental expenses and all user meeting fees will be provided by Dyalog.
- Second prize: $1,250 cash prize
- Third prize: $750 cash prize
- Phase I prizes: The top 20 Phase I participants will each receive a $100 cash prize.
- Phase II participation prizes: 20 participants who submit entries for Phase II of the competition will be selected to receive a $100 cash prize.
- Non-student prize: One non-student participant will win a complimentary registration to Dyalog’15.
- The competition is open to applicants everywhere.
However, to claim the cash prizes;
- applicants must be able to prove full-time primary, secondary, college or graduate enrollment.
- You can be on a sabbatical as long as you will be returning to full-time student status within a year.
The judging criteria will be based on:
- Completeness – did you solve the problem? Did you comment your code? (N.B. Phase I solutions need not be commented)
- Use of array-oriented thinking – did you write array-oriented APL or something that looks like C# written in APL?
- Any other criteria the judging committee deems appropriate
- All applicants must submit to the terms and conditions as stated by Student Competitions.
- Applicants can only compete with one entry in the competition. However, each applicant is able to modify their solutions and solution file for each of the two phases of the competition.
- Applicants must apply individually.
- Applicants must provide truthful and accurate information regarding contact and personal information.
- All entry material should be presented and submitted in English.
- Applicants must ensure that all solutions and answers were produced and owned by the applicant.
- We cannot be held responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to the website after the competition is over, your submission and its contents may be used at the discretion of competition organizers.
- Only entries that are duly received by the closing date will be eligible for the judging. We cannot accept responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed or damaged. Proof of sending an online entry is not proof that we received it.
- Entries not submitted in accordance with these terms and all other rules and directions, or entries that are incomplete or illegible (at the sole discretion of the competition organizers) will be excluded from the competition.
- July 16 – Competition closes. All submissions must be complete by this date.
- Week of August 3 – The 43 winners of the competition contacted
- September 6-10 – Dyalog user meeting in Sicily, Italy
How to Join the Contest
To enter the competition, each applicant must:
- Register an account at www.dyalogaplcompetition.com.
- Use your problem solving skills to complete the challenge by the July 16, 2015 competition deadline.
The entire entry and application process must be completed within the given time frame of the competition. Registration and application to the APL Problem Solving Competition is free of charge.
Application Deadline: July 16, 2015