Are you GEARed up? In a world where the future is at our fingertips, Samsung is inviting developers to take technology to the next level by creating innovative, functional, and original apps for the Samsung Gear 2.
The Samsung Gear App Challenge is part of the series of “Samsung Smart App Challenges” which began in 2012. Over two rounds, developers will have the chance to win $1,250,000* in total prize money, as well as promotional exposure for their apps through Samsung’s global marketing channels.
Round 1: Developers around the world are invited to submit applications developed with the Samsung Gear Dev Tool. The top 200 finalists will be selected by a panel of judges, and each will receive $2,000 in prizes.
Round 2: In Round 2, the finalists from Round 1 will be invited to compete again for more prizes and exposure. Developers will have additional time to improve and modify their apps. Judges will select the top 40 applications and those winners will receive a total of $850,000 in additional prize money and marketing exposure for their apps.
In addition, the public will be given the chance to vote for their favorites among the top 10 apps to choose the Popular Choice Prize winner.
Grand prize, Second prize, and Popular Choice award winners will be announced at the Samsung Developers Conference mid-November, 2014. *The total prize amount of $1,250,000 assumes that 200 applications will be submitted.
Round 1: Finalist Prize (200)
Each winner will receive a $2,000 cash prize. In addition to the cash prize, winners will also receive marketing and promotion support from Samsung.
Round 2: Grand Prize
In addition to the $100,000 cash prize, winners will also receive marketing and promotion support from Samsung including invitations to Samsungs’ major developer events.
Round 2: Second Prize (9)
Each winner will receive a $50,000 cash prize. In addition to the cash prize, winners will also receive marketing and promotion support from Samsung including invitations to Samsungs’ major developer events.
Round 2: Third Prize (30)
Each winner will receive a $10,000 cash prize. In addition to the cash prize, winners will also receive marketing and promotion support from Samsung.
Round 2: Popular Choice Prize
Popular Choice prize includes a high-end car with an approximate retail value of US $50,000.
- The Samsung Gear App Challenge is open to developers from around the world who have become registered members on the Samsung GALAXY Apps Seller Office website, including:
- Individuals, and teams of individuals, 13 years of age and older. If an individual, or team of individuals, has not yet reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry and they win a prize, a parent or guardian will need to sign an affidavit on their behalf.
- Organizations that, at the time of entry, have been duly organized or incorporated and validly exist.
Please note that the following individuals, teams, and organizations are NOT eligible for the competition:
- Individuals or organizations based in a nation, state, province, or territory where U.S. or local law prohibits participating in the competition or receiving a prize. See Official Rules for details.
- Any application that is, or was, funded or compensated, partially or fully, by Samsung for its development is not eligible to participate.
- Only finalists chosen in Round 1 are eligible to participate in Round 2. Please see the Official Rules for full eligibility details.
How to enter
- Walk through the Official Rules to confirm you meet all eligibility requirements.
- Register to access the submission form and start your draft.
- Visit the Resources & Events page to get access to the Samsung Gear Dev Tool.
- Sign up for a Samsung GALAXY Apps Seller Office account – required for distribution on Samsung Apps.
- Create a working Gear App that meets the requirements above, or enter an existing app.
- Create a demonstration video and take some screenshots of your Gear App. Participants are encouraged to submit entry materials in English or include an English translation or subtitles.
- Submit your Gear App to Samsung Apps. Don’t forget to allow time for your app to go through the Certification Process and be released on Samsung Apps before the Certification Period ends on July 31, 2014. Note: Certification and store release timing may vary depending on the app and when it’s submitted for certification review.
- Fill out your submission form (including all required fields) and submit!
Deadline: July 17, 2014
For more information on detailed requirements, click HERE.
“Opinion pieces of this sort published on RISE Networks are those of the original authors and do not in anyway represent the thoughts, beliefs and ideas of RISE Networks.”