The 2019 AI IDEATHON is a competition for students, data scientists, working professionals, developers and academics with groundbreaking innovative ideas through AI and Machine Learning Solutions.
Are you interested in using AI & ML and their Techniques to solve Nigeria’s education, agriculture, healthcare and financial inclusion problems?
Apply to pitch your solution to one of these 4 challenges:
- Financial Inclusion
We know that there are students, data scientists, working professionals, developers and academics who are passionate about solving these problems identified above by applying their knowledge and ideas in the realm of AI and ML and this Ideathon will provide a springboard for them to showcase and share their AI and ML models and applications to a broad community of stakeholders especially Policy Makers, Technology Experts and Organizations, Leaders in the Private Sector and Venture Capitalists to facilitate the scaling and growth at scale of these ideas when they are in public domain and easily accessible.
- Potential to enhance Education in Africa
- Impact and scalability of idea or innovation
- Novelty and Uniqueness of idea
- Use and application of AI and ML technology in the Solution
In these Rules, “The Rise Labs”, “we”, “our”, and “us” refer to Project Initiator and “you” and “yourself” refers to a Ideathon participant, or the parent/legal guardian of any minor Ideathon entrant. By entering you (your parent/legal guardian if you are a minor) agree to be bound by these rules.
2. ENTRY PERIOD
The Ideathon starts at 12:01 a.m. on August 19th, 2019 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on September 20th, 2019 West Africa Time (“Entry Period”).
To enter, you must be 18 years of age or older. Minors must have consent of a parent or legal guardian.
4. HOW TO ENTER
To submit an entry, visit the Ideathon website at https://risenetworks.org/labs/the-rise-labs-ai-ideathon-registration-form/ and follow the instructions to register and submit your idea for using Artificial Intelligence and/or Machine Learning (“AI” and/or “ML”) to transform education, agriculture, healthcare and financial inclusion in Nigeria. (“Submission”). Your submission may include supporting materials including diagrams, videos or references to additional research so long as it meets the Eligible Entry requirements described below. All required information must be provided for your submission to be eligible.
Upload your project – To submit an Idea, visit the https://risenetworks.org/labs/the-rise-labs-ai-ideathon-registration-form/ and follow the instructions to register and submit your Idea.
Idea review – Submit an existing practical AI model, a demo app, a demo video of not more than 4 minutes’ maximum length and test dataset to enter the challenge.
Your submitted Idea/Project goes through detailed review process by our judges.
Winner announcement – Winners will be announced within 21 days after Ideathon closes.
- Prizes – The top three ideas (each) win prizes as mentioned above in the “Prizes” section, plus an opportunity for:
- Your Idea will be published inside our National AI Innovation ebook
- Mentorship Support by some the best AI Innovators & Experts within Nigeria & around the World
- National Public Recognition & Opportunity to Network at WORKPLAN: Africa’s Action Plan on Education, Skills and the Future of Work for the Youth.
- Free 3-6months Workspace, Incubation and Technical support at The Rise Labs
Any attempt by you or anyone to obtain more than the stated number of submissions by using multiple/different accounts, identities, registrations, logins, or any other methods will void your submissions and you may be disqualified. Use of any automated system to participate is prohibited. We will not be responsible for excess, lost, late, or incomplete submissions.
5. USE OF YOUR ENTRY
We will not claim ownership rights to your submission. However, by submitting an Idea, you grant us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your submission and all its content in connection with this Ideathon and use your submission in any media whatsoever now known or later invented for only non-commercial purposes.
Your submission may be posted on our official website or those of the Media but we will not be responsible for any unauthorized usage of your submission by visitors to their website.
6. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION
Pending confirmation of eligibility, potential prize winners will be selected by The Rise Labs and a competent, experienced and qualified judging panel from among all eligible submissions received based on the following judging criteria:
- 50% – Originality of Idea
- 20% – Solutions Feasibility
- 30% – Complexity to Implement
Winners will be notified within 21 days following the Entry Period with winner instructions, including a prize claim deadline. In the event of a tie between any eligible submissions, an additional judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding.
Winners will be notified via the contact information provided during entry no more than 7 days following judging with prize claim instructions, including submission deadlines. If a selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim a prize or fails to return any forms, the selected winner will forfeit their prize and an alternate winner will be selected time allowing. Only three alternate winners will be selected, after which unclaimed prizes will remain unawarded.
The odds of winning are based on the number of eligible submissions received.
8. GENERAL CONDITIONS AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY
To the extent allowed by law, by entering you agree to release and hold harmless, The Rise Labs and its respective partners from any and all liability or any injury, loss, or damage of any kind arising in connection with any prize won.
IMPORTANT DATES TO NOTE
- Monday August 19th – Call for Applications Launched
- Friday September 20th – Applications Closes
- Friday September 27th – Ideathon Briefing & and Judges’ Internal Selection Process commences
- Friday October 11th – Judges’ Internal Selection Process ends
- Tuesday October 15th – Semi Finalists contacted for their First Pitch Day
- Saturday October 19th – Finalists chosen and prepared for their Final Pitch Day
- Saturday November 23rd – Finalists Pitch day at WORKPLAN: Africa’s Action Plan on Education, Skills and the Future of Work for the Youth.
For further enquires or information, you may –