The African Leadership Academy (ALC) was established in Kenya in June 2010 as a joint initiative of King’s College London and the University of Nairobi. The ALC is pleased to announce a call for applications for the Peace, Security and Development Fellowships for African Scholars starting in September 2018.
This Fellowship covers an 18-month period, comprising a rigorous training and research programme on peace, security and development, which includes a 12-Month MSc programme at King’s College London and a six-month attachment to an African University to undertake an independent research project. The Fellowship programme is designed to expose junior African scholars to the complexities of security and development issues facing the African continent.
from departments of political science; international relations; history; law; development studies;
peace; security and conflict studies, and related departments.
and development. Previous study or engagement with the issues of security and development
is not required. However candidates must demonstrate a basic familiarity with these issues.
issues relating to peace and security in Africa. Successful candidates will be attached to a Research Cluster where they will work with ALC Research Associates and Senior Research Fellows to undertake research on select aspects of the ALC Research Agenda on “Future Peace and the Role of the State in Africa”.
Fellowship upon returning to their countries and academic institutions.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate the following values during the application phase: Independent thinking; Integrity; Pursuit of excellence; and respect for all forms of diversity.
- This is a fully funded opportunity, not including any visa application and processing costs.Funds will be made available to cover tuition, subsistence in the UK and Africa, accommodation, research-related costs, and all travel expenses related to the programme. However, successful applicants are expected to find their own accommodation both in the UK and Africa.
- In the UK successful candidates will be able to apply for University of London accommodation, and they can also make their own accommodation arrangements. Candidates are strongly advised to make all necessary accommodation arrangements well in advance of taking up their positions at King’s College London.
Applications will be accepted Online at the following link: Peace, Security and Development Fellowships for African Scholars 2018–2019 Academic Year. The deadline for applications is 23:59 hrs, Sunday 8th April 2018. Applicants to the Fellowship Programme must make individual applications to the MSc Security, Leadership and Society by 23:59 hrs, Sunday 8th April 2018.
The following documents are required before your application will be considered complete:
Extracts from dissertation, essay paper, policy paper of the following 5 sets of questions:
- What is the predominant vision of peace among Africa’s youth and future leaders?
- What are the greatest sources of insecurity for African youth?
- What leadership issues confront a next generation of youth seeking to build and sustain peace?
- What can we learn about African youth experiences for future discourses about the governance of security and development?
- How are the dynamics in African societies and societal responses to security and development challenges compelling a change in the state?
- How are African regional organisations responding to the rapidly changing African security landscape?
(Note that you are required to submit your application to the MSc Security, Leadership and Society, as detailed above by the deadline of 23:59 hrs, Sunday 8th April 2018).
All supporting documents should be submitted via the online portal. Please note that no email
applications will be accepted. If you are experiencing problems with the online application portal, please contact us at email@example.com.
Application Deadline: 8th April 2018
RISE Networks is a Leading Social Enterprise with a deliberate interest and passion for Youth and Education Development facilitated by Innovation and Technology in Africa. Wish to see your Articles / Opinions Published on Rise Networks Website? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on Twitter at @risenetworks and Facebook at facebook.com/RISEGROUP