Deadline: July 31, 2018
Applications are open for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme. This programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of good governance and to prepare them in a praxis-oriented course for their professional life. The study programmes starts in September/October 2019.
Very good graduates with a first university degree get the chance to obtain a master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance to the social, political and economic development of their home country. The knowledge and experience acquired in Germany should enable the scholarship holders to later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social differences. With this programme, DAAD intends to contribute to the support of good governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions.
Since 2009, the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (known as Public Policy and Good Governance) has been supporting future leaders who want to promote democracy and social justice in their home countries. The programme, which is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, offers the chance to acquire a Master’s degree in Master programmes of particular relevance for the social, political and economic development in the students’ countries of origin.
In the light of the principles of Good Governance, highly qualified graduates with a first academic degree are being educated in political science, law, economics and administration and prepared for future leading positions in their home countries. In addition, the scholarship holders will hopefully continue to be qualified contact persons for German politics and economy after their return. Besides supporting Good Governance and civil society structures in selected partner regions, the Helmut-Schmidt-programme also contributes to the internationalisation of the participating German universities and provides the German fellow students with insights into the world beyond Western industrialized countries.
The scholarships are awarded for selected master´s courses at German institutions of higher education. The courses have an international orientation and are taught in German and/or English.
- Prior to their study programmes all scholarship holders receive a 6- months-German language course from April 2019 to September 2019. The language courses take place at selected institutes in Germany and usually not at the universities of the selected master´s courses. The language course is compulsory also for those who attend a master´s course taught in English. The scholarship holders are offered a special tutoring at their host institutions financed by DAAD.
- Furthermore, there is the possibility to attend networking events.
- DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 850 €.
- The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany.
- In addition, DAAD grants an appropriate travel allowance and a study and research subsidy as well as rent subsidies and/or allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable.
- DAAD scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees.
- The scholarship scheme is open to graduates in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration from Africa, Latin America, South Asia, Southeast Asia and Central Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine (see list of countries).
- The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries.
- It is offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
The main DAAD criteria for selection are the following:
- the study results so far,
- knowledge of English (and German),
- political and social engagement,
- a convincing description of the subject-related and
- personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit when returning to the home country.
The latest university degree should have been obtained during the six years prior to the application for the scholarship. Applicants cannot be considered if they have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline. All master´s courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
Applications have to be submitted in German or English. Please indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-SchmidtProgramme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance). Please submit your applications for the selected master`s courses and for the DAAD scholarship to the respective universities only (not to DAAD).
For more information, visit DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme.