Deadline: March 31, 2018.
The Leiden African Studies Assembly invites applications for a three month (90 days) visiting fellowship at Leiden University (African Studies Centre) from September up to and including November 2018. The ASC Leiden hosts visiting research fellows in the framework of the Leiden African Studies Assembly (Leiden ASA), a network for cooperation between Leiden based Africanists. Visiting research fellows use their time in Leiden for data analysis and/or writing, often on a joint project with one or more ASCL staff members and with Africanists at other institutes or faculties of Leiden University. Applications from all academic disciplines are welcome. An application must include an element of collaboration with a researcher of the African Studies Centre Leiden and a researcher of another faculty/department of Leiden University. The output of that collaboration can be a joint seminar or workshop, a joint research proposal, or a joint publication.
A research fellowship includes:
- A return ticket (economy class).
- A daily stipend to cover living expenses.
- Provision of accommodation in Leiden
- A medical insurance
- Opportunity to make use of office facilities and library facilities.
In order to be eligible for this opportunity, the applicant has to fulfil all of the following criteria.
He or she must:
- Hold a PhD degree, by the time of applying.
- Be a citizen of an African country.
- Have conducted research, as part of the PhD and/or in later projects; with a focus on Africa.
- Be actively pursuing an academic/research career.
- Have published books, book chapters and/or journal articles in recent years that meet international standards.
- In accordance with visa regulations, be ready to return to the country of which he/she is a citizen and/or a current resident upon completion of the fellowship.
Documents for aplication includes:
- your updated list of publications;
- a digital copy of two international publications, preferably journal articles;
- two recent letters of recommendation;
- a statement from an ASCL researcher stating his/her willingness to collaborate with you;
- a statement from a Leiden University researcher (not ASCL) stating his/her willingness to collaborate with you.
For more information, Click HERE